Thursday, April 23, 2015

What does it mean to thrive?

I love the word thrive.  It is so luscious with intent.  The word thrive has its origins from Middle English and Old Norse.  It literally means to grow or develop vigorously; flourish.  How wonderful is that!

What does it mean to you to thrive?  To me it means more than just surviving and living without intent or fear, and this is where it gets tricky.  There is a part of me that just wants to curl up in a little ball, pull the covers over my head, stay small and just hibernate.  Following your dreams no matter how big or small, is scary.  It's so easy to look at someone else's life and think that they have it all together.  I assure you they do not.  The toughest job you will ever have is being human. Everyone from movie stars to world leaders all have their challenges.  Some people act on those challenges to improve their lives or circumstances, others do not.  Which will you do?  How do you want to live your life?

I am great at getting in my own way, actually I am a pro at it!  I think of all the times I have self sabotaged myself out of fear.  Fear that I would be judged by someone, fear that I would be punished, fear that I was not good enough.  On my HTG journey I have read many books, attended many classes, searched out many individuals who are on the same journey.  I would like to share with you one of my very favorite writings from an amazing woman who is an inspiration to many, Marianne Williamson.


OUR DEEPEST FEAR IS NOT that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
            Actually, who are you not to be?
                             You are a child of God.
         Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
      We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
 It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.  And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

                                                                         ~Marianne Williamson

I have a laminated copy of that quote above my desk.  I read it when I need inspiration on hard days.  Yes, I have hard days, and so will you on this journey.  One thing I have struggled with is how do I thrive on those days that are hard.  The days when I feel depressed, overwhelmed, sad, hopeless and out of sorts.  Because those are the days that it feels like I am not thriving.  Here is the good news, on those days my body and mind is taking a break.  It doesn't feel like it though.  Most of us have been taught from birth that those are bad feelings and should be avoided at all cost.  I think differently.  Imagine a plant growing.  It grows for awhile, then takes a break, has a growth spirt and then rests.  You don't plant a seed and have it blossom into a full plant overnight, growth like that would be to rapid and actually burn the plant out.  We are the same.  Thriving is a process, and we the caretakers of that process.   So wherever you are today on your HTG journey think about what thriving means to you.  Are you in a growth spirt, or do you need to slow down and rest?  Wherever you are it is okay.  You are loved and blessed beyond measure.  Love and hugs, Cheryl

4 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I really needed to hear this today. Am so enjoying this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to hear it today, too. Having one of those weeks and wonder where it's all going.

    ReplyDelete